news

Latvia - White all over for Riga Fire Fighting Museum


Set up in 1978 on the premises of a former fire station built in 1912, Riga Fire Fighting museum displays the history of fire fighting in Latvia from the second half of the 19th century until the present days. Spread over two levels, the museum features fire fighting equipment, vehicles, uniforms and different tools, as well as awards, distinctions for bravery and documents related to fire fighting history in Latvia. The first floor is dedicated to the period from the 19th century till 1940, showing uniforms, mechanical pumps and other equipment used for putting out fires in those days. The main attraction of the first floor collection is a Chevrolet Six fire engine. The second floor displays uniforms, documents, awards, and pictures of fire fighters who lost their lives in the line of duty, as well as pieces of fire-fighting machinery, flags and photographs spanning from 1940 onwards. Temporary exhibits are held in the museum on a regular basis.
 
Fire-fighters have always been surrounded by a special aura for their heroism and human selflessness. Their equipment can not only be admired but also tried out by eager visitors, for the complete joy of many enthusiastic children. Like many educational institutions, the museum is completely interactive as it shows the legacy of Latvian fire fighting, as well as it provides basic knowledge about fire safety regulations and actions in case of disaster. Visitors are actively invited to learn how to put out a fire, participate in quizzes, lectures and watch documentaries, becoming familiar with fire alarms, fire fighting devices, suits and equipment. Moreover, they are informed about the most devastating fires and other disasters, which required the special intervention of the firemen. Educational materials for children are also available.
 
The Latvian Fire Fighting Museum is located within a historic Art Nouveau building fitted with an old Baroque-style 30m high watch-tower that was used to dry fire-hoses. This construction was built in 1912 when this architectural style was in full swing in Riga, making the Latvian capital the city with the highest concentration of Art Nouveau architecture in the world. Built during a period of rapid economic growth, most of the Art Nouveau buildings of Riga date from 1904 to 1914, when this style was most commonly represented in multi-storey apartment buildings.
 
On request of the Riga City Council Property Department, major historic masonry restoration and façade renovation works have been recently finalized at the museum, followed by the installation of an LED lighting system on the façade of the building in order to enhance its beautiful architectural style also at night. An array of PARADE D-W-6, 9 and 12 linear modules in warm white configuration were mounted on the walls of the building methodically following the main architectural features of the façades in order to deliver a well distributed white light. The longer bars were installed downwards in a line on the lower edge of the steep roof to enlighten the walls of the museum with an even light output. The shorter modules were fixed on the upper parts of turrets and main tower to deliver a focused spot lighting to the main architectural features of these outstanding parts of the building.  
 
A superlative solution for architectural lighting decoration, the technologically advanced PARADE D-W-6, 9 and 12 MK3 linear modules series features either 6, 9 or 12 powerful bright white light LED sources. Available both in warm and cold white light, these highly versatile modular bars, coming with a choice of different beam angle options, are now capable of offering a further improved light emission performance. Their compact outline features a robust and durable extruded aluminium housing for the widest variety of applications such as accent, display, effect and landscape lighting. 
 

Australia - Rockhampton Riverside Precinct comes to life with Griven

The Rockhampton Riverside Precinct, a world-class waterfront area on the shores of...
read more

archive